Saturday, August 11, 2012

DIY Cake Stand


I’ve seen a lot of cute DIY cake stands on Pinterest, so I’ve been itching to give it a try. I came across a few items at the flea market and thrift store last weekend and thought, what the heck. I’ll make one.

I found a brass candlestick and a couple glass ones as well as a few plates for a whopping $4.50 total. 
 

I started out by spraying primer on all the items.


I then sprayed about two coats of chocolate brown spray paint on each one.


I used a paint marker to paint designs on the candlesticks and plates. On one plate I even drew a monogram. 


I took a paper towel and blotted gold paint on the plates and candlesticks. I thought it added a nice touch. I then used a heavy duty super glue and glued each plate on top of the candlestick. I finished it off with some spray lacquer.
















 And, there you have it. I even baked bought cupcakes and cake for the occasion. I don’t consider this food safe, so I wouldn’t put the cake directly on the stand. Instead I used a doily to set the cake on. I think it turned out super cute! And, it goes great with my china. Overall it was a really easy project with great results.

 



FIY - This can also double as a jewelry holder. I'm thinking of putting one on my vanity to hold the jewerly I wear most often. 

Here's to handy andy



Linking Up With:



                       



Pin It

21 comments :

  1. Hi Elizabeth, What adorable cake stands! I especially like the Monogram. You're very talented! So glad you visited my blog.~Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cake stands! You did an awesome job! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for following. I'm returning the follow. Tuula :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic! I need to make a set of these for serving food at parties. I get tired of my same old dishes, but all new pieces would be so expensive. I like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I plan to display them at get togethers during the holidays. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea. I want to make one for Thanksgiving! Look forward to reading your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for following! Now following you also.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love these!! You did a fabulous job. Your newest follower. Thank you so much for visiting me. :)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your plate stands! Glad I found you!
    Your newest follower,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely. I love the designs you used for each plate. I agree that the gold really adds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great! Love the color combos :)

    Found you @ The Well Crafted Home

    --Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the designs on these! They look awesome! Thank you for sharing at our
    Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned our so great! I love the designs you painted on them! Thanks so much for sharing at our Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! They turned out great! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS! Love the paslieys :)
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! Love the colors you used, nice job! I'm now a follower...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome creation ! I am thinking about some cake stands design for my online store & i have got here exceptional idea.Thanks a lot !

    ReplyDelete