Sunday, August 5, 2012

As Seen On Pinterest: Transferring a Photo to Wood = Epic Fail

So, I wanted to try this really cool craft project I saw on Pinterest where you can transfer a photo to wood. There’s a great video tutorial HERE which makes it look super easy. Not so much. I tried this with a wedding photo of some family friends, and needless to say, it did not turn out as planned. I think I could eventually nail this, but my first attempt was an EPIC FAIL! Here’s what the finished product from the tutorial looked like:


Courtesy of crystalshae


Here’s what mine looked like:





It’s always fun to try new things, but geez, what a mess! I followed the directions exactly. I even purchased the ridiculously expensive gel medium required for the project. When I went to rub the paper off, the image was suppose to stay on the wood. However, mine blurred and some parts of the image vanished completely. Like I said, epic fail.

I have to remind myself that most things do not go as planned on the first try. If at first you don’t succeed, post funny pictures of your meager attempts, and try it again. Everyone has to eat humble pie once in awhile. 
Speaking of epic fails, there’s this hilarious website I stumbled across called CraftFail. It has a ton of projects that people have tried to duplicate from Pinterest and around the internet that went horribly wrong. I’m considering submitting my wooden photo transfer to that site. Here are a few funnies that I found there. Visit CraftFail to see these and other attempts at Pinterest glory.   


            







I was featured! 
(I guess that's a good thing even though it was 
because my work is so stinky!)




 Linking up with:
Pin It

6 comments :

  1. I've had plenty of spectacular fails, maybe I should be documenting them.
    I'm glad you tried this project out. I saw it and was wondering how it would turn out if I were to attempt it...yeah, glad I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know until you try. It was a fun attempt though. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. Oh, man! I have been wanting to do this so badly, but I haven't yet because I couldn't quite bring myself to pay for the gel medium. Keep us updated if you try again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All transfer methods seem to require some sort of magic to actually work :) Good luck if you try again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! You poor thing- I feel for you, I do! Craft fail..I am so with you on these- and This is why we have the Stinky Linky Party-- so you can share your ugly projects- and YOU rocked the party with this! Thank you for sharing this {I am sorry it didn't turn out- would have been so cute!!}

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to use ink jet printing from a copy store. If you go back and edit this post you need to add the "d" onto the word suppose.

    ReplyDelete